Very Simple Coconut Cake
This is a no-fuss coconut cake recipe that requires no fancy mixing tools or preparation. However, in order for all ingredients to blend together well, they must be at ROOM TEMPERATURE.
LIST of INGREDIENTS
3 cups (300 grams) sifted flour
300 grams unsalted butter, room temperature – Not Margarine
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
100 grams unsweetened coconut flakes (store bought) OR 225 grams of freshly grated coconut – (this requires a bit more effort but the superior taste and texture is worth it)
12 tablespoons milk, room temperature
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (sea salt if you are fancy)
Zest of one lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, a 9″ cake or tube pan
- If using fresh coconut, peel off the dark parts of the coconut flesh/meat before grating
- In a small bowl, soak unsweetened coconut flakes or freshly grated coconut in 8 tablespoons milk and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract
- Place the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar) and mix until blended
- Add the butter and third of the egg mixture – mix until the dry ingredients are moistened
- Add another third of the egg mixture and develop the cake’s structure
- Scrap down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining egg mixture to strengthen the cake’s structure
- Fold in the soaked coconut flakes (and lemon zest – optional)
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon
- Bake for about 55 to 65 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. NOTE: – If the cake is browning too much as it bakes (that is – you added more sugar), cover with a piece of lightly buttered aluminum foil after about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack
The Cake can be covered and stored at room temperature till the following day, refrigerated after a day, or it can be frozen for one month.
Now that was done sharp sharp!! Enjoy warm with tea, coffee or favorite ice cream.