Simple way to tie your Gele (Nigerian head-tie) with Layers
- Fold a section of your gele inwards. (I usually do about one-third).
Make sure your gele isnt inside out; with respect to the sewn edge or the pattern details, depending on the type of gele it is.
2. Now this is my trick. Fold three layers onto the gele, around the middle, BEFORE putting it on your head. If your gele is short and you have to start tying from behind, do the folds on one edge so that you start tying from that edge.
3. Tie your gele as usual. The folded part should be in the center of your head.
- As you bring each ‘hand’ of the gele forward, be sure to arrange it in such a way that it falls in line behind the three folds you started with.
- Try as much as possible to maintain an equal distance between the folds
- You’ll easily end up with five layers when you’re done.
4. Tie up firmly at the nape of the neck.
5. Arrange the front of the gele neatly; add in more folds if you like. Take a picture!